The TGCA is pleased to let the community know that on Jan. 20, 2023 our Vice President of Public Service, Alison Abbott, was awarded the prestigious Queen Elizabeth ll’s Platinum Jubilee Medal by MLA Nixon for her service to the community.
Alison’s work at the TGCA directly enables the community association to have a place at the table when it comes to issues like crime, planning and development, commerce and more. We’re so grateful to Alison for her continued enthusiasm in community building and the behind the scenes details that make a community association valuable and relevant.
In her volunteer role at the TGCA Alison is instrumental in maintaining important relationships with officials in our city and has been a part of the association since 2015 when she joined the TGCA Board as a Director at Large and then progressed to VP Public Service.
Here’s just a few of the ways that Alison has recently contributed to our community and the TGCA:
- An imperative liaison with civic, provincial and federal political representatives of Thorncliffe and Greenview on behalf of the TGCA.
- Part of the team who negotiated the Good Neighbor Agreement on the Centre 4800 project (now Greenview Rise).
- Represented TGCA on North Hill Area Plan working group.
- A great relationship builder with Calgary Police Services, Alberta Health Services and other agency counterparts to advocate for residents and community safety.
- Co-coordinated The Saturday Night Social concert raising funds for the TGCA and donations for the Calgary Veteran’s Food Bank.
- Spearheaded the TGCA 65th Anniversary Fall Fair celebration.
- Coordination of the annual Neighbor Day events at the TGCA.
- Support TGCA in hosting candidate forums for municipal and provincial elections.
The Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee Medal is awarded to Albertan’s who have made a significant contribution to Canada, Alberta, or to a particular Alberta region or community, and is awarded to Canadians across the country.
Learn more about the various roles on the TGCA Board here.