Area Services for Those in Need
Community services for those in need in North Calgary and/or Thorncliffe and Greenview
For those seeking affordable and nutritious food on a regular basis, the TGCA offers the Community Kitchen program, Good Food Box. Find more info and order here.
If you are in need and seeking help, please see the list of agencies and services below:
Organisation name and contact info:
Families (parent, children, youth)
North Central Family Resource Network – Closer To Home
Address: 3-176 Bedford Dr. N.E.
• Free programs and services for parents, youth, children
• Referrals for counselling & basic needs
• Resource information
Trellis Society Community Connections
Phone: General 403-219-3477 ext. 3
Email: Jenn Wederfort JWederfort@growwithtrellis.ca
Address: suite 200, 2609 15 St. NE
• Basic Needs (referrals for food, clothing, furniture, housing)
• Saving money/budgeting resources and seminars
• Applying for government money
• Finding resources and services in your area
The Way In Network
Email: Call the general number to get the Outreach Worker for Thorncliffe Greenview
• Information and referrals
• Assistance with forms for pensions, benefits, transportation, and housing
• Caregiver support
• Access to volunteer supports
• Elder abuse intervention and support
• Commissioner for Oaths
• Assessment and case management
• Group activities and workshops
Centre Street Church Compassionate Ministries
Address: 4021 Centre St. NE (Wing Kei Village)
• A one-time emergency hamper: A person can pick up a hamper up on a Monday or Wednesday between 6:00pm – 7:30pm, or Tuesday & Thursday 10:00am – 11:30am (with the exception of statutory holidays). This is a one-time hamper that can be provided to the person prior to you connecting to the Calgary Food Bank- which we are also a depot of.
• The Calgary Food Bank is currently providing hampers every 12 days so long as you register prior. The person can connect to them by calling 403-253-2055.
• Clothing: The clothing bank is open on Mondays between 6:00pm – 7:30pm (with the exception of stat holidays). This is a walk-in clothing bank. It has a variety of items available each week.
• Lunch boxes: Can be picked up on Monday & Wednesday evenings between 5:30pm – 7:00pm (with the exception of stat holidays). These rotate between a cold and hot lunch.
• Appointments: We are also still offering first step and life budget appointments to see if there is anything else we can do to help people. They can call us at 403-520-1227 to see if they qualify for an appointment.
Society of St. Vincent De Paul – Corpus Christie Catholic Church
Address: 404 Northmount Pl. NW
• Food hampers
• Sometimes they can provide baby diapers and formula and toiletries
Residents of Thorncliffe & Greenview
City of Calgary, Community Social Work Program
Tannis Eapen, Thorncliffe Greenview Social Worker
• We connect community members with one another to increase a sense of belonging
• We encourage opportunities to value and celebrate diversity
• We work with community members to build their awareness on social issues that impact their neighbourhood
• We collaborate with community members to work on practical initiatives and projects
• We create opportunities for networking, conversation, and skill building
• We support community members to be leaders of their neighbourhoods, by offering leadership training and meaningful volunteer opportunities
Additional resources from The City of Calgary:
The Calgary Food Map – this map, created by The City of Calgary, includes no cost food hampers, community food pantries, food bank referrals, Good Food Box pickup sites (including the TGCA), free and low cost meals, baby supplies, free bagged lunch for kids and youth, and more.
View map here
Calgary COVID-19 Community Food Resources by Quadrant – Places where people can access no and low cost food and other assistance in the city of Calgary during the COVID-19 pandemic.
See the list here
The City of Calgary Access to Food page – Places where people can access no and low cost food in the city of Calgary.
See the list here